Monday, July 30, 2012

ATS - Sketch #1, Dynamic Duos #13 and Paper Players #106

Hello friends, I'm so glad you've popped in to visit my blog today!  My dear Daddy is going to be 70 in just a few days.  He loves old cars, trucks and tractors.  I purchased this Tim Holtz stamp to use for his birthday last year and then forgot that I had it until his birthday had passed - so I made a note in the calender for this year to "use old car stamp".  Geeze, you'de think the way my memory is I was the one turning 70 (or older!). 

In any event... I found a couple challenges today to help me turn my idea into a card that he will really enjoy.  My card layout is from the sketch by Kylie at Addicted to Stamps - Sketch Challenge #1.  Even though she calls it "a bit unconventional", I liked it the minute I saw it and have several other ideas for what I could do with this sketch (see below).
The colors for this card were inspired by the Dynamic Duos Challenge #13 - Monochromatic (Early Espresso and Crumb Cake) - so perfect for a masculine card, I think, and I also used the Tic Tac Toe board from The Paper Players Challenge #106 (see below). 
I'm pretty sure you can figure out two of the items I used for this card (hint... it's the column on the right).  The favorite color is not mine - I like deep pink, but my dad doesn't - lol, so I used my favorite colour to used for masculine cards - dark brown - which is also so conveniently one of the colors for the Dynamic Duos challenge this time ;o)  I don't really know what my Dad's favorite color is -  he has never said but I know he likes to buy black cars and green tractors.  The punches I used on this card are the curly label and a retired gear punch (both from SU).  I punched the small gears out and then spritzed them with brown to create a rusted look.  


I sponged around all the edges with Espresso ink to age everything a bit (since Old Guys Rule) to match the style (era) of the truck and the age of the recipient (don't you dare tell him I said so - lol!).    Here's a pic of the inside too (the sentiment is from a Fiskars clear set):
Hope you like today's card and thanks again for stopping in to visit.  Til next time - Hugs!!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle - what a great card....I'm sure your Dad will love it. Don't worry about forgetting you had that stamp.....I do that all the time! Love the monochromatic look and those gears are great. Thanks for joining us over at ATS this week.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Danielle - your Dad is going to love it!!! You have combined the challenges beautifully & those metallic cogs are a wonderful accent. Thanks for playing along with the Paper Players this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vintage style of your card! The die cuts are a perfect fit!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card for a 70th Birthday, nice vintage style. Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab male card Danielle, love the image and the border of cogs;) Thanks for playing along with us at ATS
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great masculine card. Love the gears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A smashing take on our sketch. What a perfect stamp for these lovely brown tones you've used. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at ATS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great masculine card! Love the vintage truck paired with the gears. Thanks for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous card with us at Addicted to Stamps. Great take on the sketch, your stamping and colour choices complement each other perfectly .

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Danielle, thanks for giving my sketch a go! I really like what you have done with it and I'm sure your dad is going to love his card. Congratulations to him on his 70th! Thanks so much for playing along at ATS xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great sketch and card! Love the row of gears! So happy you joined us this week at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you made the gear border on your card. Thanks for playing with us at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT card for your Dad, Danielle! Love the rusted gears--how clever are you?! So glad you joined us at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great card...ESPECIALLY the sentiment on the inside! LOL! So glad you were able to play with the Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat card, masculine card! The inside sentiment is just too cute! Thanks for playing at The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great masculine-themed card, Danielle! I really like that gear punch and the inside sentiment is awesome. I'm sure your dad will love this card. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave me a comment. It makes my day happier! Hugs!